Friday, May 15, 2009

Architecture and Gardens

"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden."-- Thomas Jefferson

As I design I come into the mind frame as I work with clients at W.D. Wells, the value of importance into each of my designs of connecting the architectural structure with the garden. That the architecture compliments the plantings and the plantings compliment the architecture. The two go side by side. So many times the landscape goes in and is not thought about as it grows and hides important features of the home, such as rock walls or windows to allow in sunlight.(As in these two pictures) As I walk into each meeting with my clients, I educate them saying that we are preparing to design a garden that will grow, change and will need adequate room to allow it to mature into its fullest potential.

As I design, I begin to think about how plantings will "highlight" certain areas of the home. I want to bring the house into scale with plantings, but I do not want to hide key features. I also understand the importance of placement. What do I mean by this...

5 Quick Tips for all you gardeners out there....

1.) Know the size of your plant material you are bringing in, know that in 5 years, your plant may go from 2' to 15' and still be able to fit into its spot

2.) Spacing of other planting material, that beds fill in but not overcrowd...big difference!

3.) Sun vs shade, know plants and there suitable spots around the home, you plant it close to a white stucco wall in full sun, know that it has a possibility of burning because of the intense heat being reflected from that wall

4.) Know your soil conditions, high PH low PH, wet or dry, acidic or not acidic

5.) Look up! look at possible rock facade on house or windows that could eventually be hid or blocked, think about a decidious tree leaves dropping into the rain gutters when its planted close to the house.

1 comment:

a blog full of weldons. said...

hey mr weldon! love your posts...so inspiring! i SO need a garden makeover, it's not even funny! next year i need to hire you to redo our sad excuse for a front yard!!!