Thursday, April 2, 2009

Back yard entertaining area coming to life!

As I begin to work with my clients and their dreams for their home, I put myself in their spot every time and ask, "if this was my back yard, what would I want it too look like and how would I want it to feel" Every client of my is different and has completely different taste in what they like, in the materials they chose and the colors they pick out. This is why I love what I do and have the chance to work with that client and come up with a design that meets or exceeds their expectations.

This client of mine told me right off the bat, they love to entertain having their friend's and family over. They love the privacy that their back yard gives them and want to take full advantage of it. The also love the look of flagstone, but desire a Mediterranean feel. They wanted to incorporate a fire pit into the design, but didn't know where. They had lots of ideas, and needed a design to put all their thoughts down on paper and than eventually into the ground.

The ideas we came up with were installed and we introduced them to a Mountain Blue Flagstone with flagstone stair treads to match. We incorporated a concrete paver block that had grays and browns in it to tie in the flagstone. Instead of just having a 3' wall, I gave them an idea of setting the sitting wall 5" back to break up the transition of wall. It turned out to be quite a few more saw cuts but it looked phenomenal As we thought about a spot for the fire pit, I decided to highlight the all ready existing fireplace punch-out on the house and install a small raised vegetable/herb garden and three Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' in front of it. I designed it to be eye level so everyone could enjoy it and not be hidden by the walls. We brought in large brown river stone around the fire pit to give it more of a Mediterranean feel. The customer brought in some large pots with upright Junipers with river stone around the base to bring everything together.
I could not be happier nor my client with the results. With a flip of the switch they have instant fire and have more than enough room to host even the largest parties!

No comments: